SCHOOL SCIENCE TOURS AND FOCUSED LABS
We give school tours on a by-appointment basis for students from 4th grade through college.
Tours at the WFVZ are of our vast collection of avian (bird) materials that are primarily from the 1850s through 1950s. We hold the largest collections of birds’ eggs and nests in the world (more than a million specimens), and a very large collection of bird study skins and mounts (nearly 70,000). Tours are led by biologists and scientists who work at the museum.
We have 2 options for teachers:
1. TOURS (1 Hour 15 Minutes) – Tours are broken into 4 segments:
(1) The history of the collections and the scientific uses for them; how the materials are curated;
(2) The diversity of birds of the world;
(3)The relationship of birds to NGSS topics including natural selection and adaptation, habitat, and the impacts that humans have on wildlife;
(4) Time for students to wander through the materials of the collections on their own! (A self-guided exercise can be provided to students during this portion of the tour if the teacher desires)
2. TOURS + FOCUSED LABS (1 Hour 15 Minute Tour + 45-Minute Lab Exercise) -- Labs are tailored to specific grade levels, and each covers a different topic, including :
(1) “Are All Eggs and Nests the Same?”
(2) “How Do Different Hawk Species Get Their Food?”
(3) “How Does DDT Affect Birds?”
(4) “Identifying the Birds, Bird Families, and Habitats they Use in Ventura County”
Additional labs are available, depending on the grades and needs of the students, and the availability of materials
Please download these flyers for more details about the package:
School Science Tour and Focused Lab (Grades 4-5)
School Science Tour and Focused Lab (Grades 6-8)
School Science Tour and Focused Lab (Grades 9-12)
School Science Tour and Focused Lab for College Students
The Foundation makes teaching material loans of bird study skins, eggs, and nests, available for a fee to local educators (4th grade and up).
We house more than 4,500 "no-data" teaching specimens (skins, wings, egg sets, and nests) that we loan temporarily to local educators for use in the classroom. Our live-mounts of birds are used primarily during our public tours and tours for school and civic groups. We also have a "teaching kit" available that includes background information on 5 different avian science topics (for middle and high school students), a checklist of the birds of Ventura County, and nest, egg, and study skin specimens. All teaching material loans have a curation fee. Contact us for more information